overall JD2014
Print

ABC Newspaper Circulation July December 2014

The bi-annual speculation begins in earnest today about the ‘future of print’ with the eventual release of the last of the six-month figures for the Irish Newspapers, today covering July to December 2014. Taking and over view first: over the twelve months the overall market has declined by a further 7%. And both the Sunday and morning market have also fallen by 7%. There’s nothing at all positive in the overall figures with the rate of change in the declines beginning to slide in the wrong direction after stabilising of a few periods albeit still in negative territory. Market JD 2014 JD 2013 Diff ‘000 Diff % Total Sunday 756,118 810,896 -54,778 -7% Total Morning 445,956 480,585 -34,630 -7% Total Evening 62,623 70,276 -7,653 -11%           Total Market 1,264,697 1,361,757 -97,060 -7%   There a more detailed breakdown in other articles here. 

2014 jd sun over
Print

ABC Sunday Newspaper Circulation July December 2014

The Sunday market fell 7% between July December 2013 and July December 2013. The market now stands at 756,118 copies every Sunday down 54,778 on the same period last year.  The biggest selling paper on Sunday is still the Sunday Independent selling 219,007 copies every week. This is down 4.5% on the previous year or 10,375 copies and their actively purchased figure at 96% remains in line with last year. It’s followed by the Sunday World who had a greater than market drop of 9% or 18,719 paper per week leaving them at 189,562. The Sunday World makes up a part of a wider story of the marked decline in tabloid sales which collectively are down 9% year on year. The People lead the charge declining a decent 18% on the year. This is followed by the Sunday Daily Star down 15% and then the Sunday Mirror down 11%.  Publication JD 2014 JD 2013 Diff ‘000 Diff % Sunday Independent   219,007 229,382 -10,375 -4.5% Sunday World 189,562 208,281 -18,719 -9.0% Sunday Business Post 33,233 34,322 -1,089 -3.2%           Daily Star Sunday  18,753 21,972 -3,219 -14.7% The Sun (Sunday) 55,551 57,304 -1,753 -3.1% Irish Sunday Mirror 33,727…

all mkt jd 2014
Print

ABC Morning Newspaper Circulation July December 2014

Morning newspapers saw a decline of 7.2% over the twelve months dropping to 450,956 for July December 2014. The three tabloids audited contributed close to half of that decline, dropping 16,371 collectively. The Irish Independent remains the largest selling paper in the morning moving 112,502 copies each day down 4% or 5,000 on July Dec 2014. It has to be noted that in this figure, 86.7% of that is actively purchased compared to 87.2% in July December 2013. Their single copy sales and subs come in at 94,182 compared to 98,568 the comparable period last year, a drop of 4% in that category. Publication JD 2014 JD 2013 Diff ‘000 Diff % Irish Independent 112,502 117,361 -4,859 -4.10% Irish Times 76,882 82,059 -5,177 -6.30% Examiner 34,422 37,009 -2,587 -7.00%           Daily Mirror 46,625 52,165 -5,540 -10.60% Irish Daily Star 58,541 64,745 -6,205 -9.60% The Sun 58,909 63,535 -4,626 -7.30% Tabloids 164,074 180,445 -16,371 -9.10%           Daily Express 2,715 3,057 -342 -11.20% Irish Daily Mail 45,139 49,814 -4,675 -9.40% Daily Telegraph 2,728 2,864 -136 -4.80% Financial Times 2,388 2,545 -157 -6.20% Guardian 2,724 3,078 -354 -11.50% The Times 2,382 2,221 161 7.20%  …